Saturday, January 1, 2022

Day One

 I'm a fifty-one year old male. I was five feet four inches tall last time I measured, but that was thirty years ago. I'm probably barely five feet now, but I'm going to stick with five-four. I've been fat most of my life, from husky-sized jeans in elementary school until now. 

The most successful weight-loss technique for me is low-carb (keto/Atkins) combined with intermittent fasting. However, to date I have been unable to sustain it long-term.  I'll lose fifteen to twenty pounds, get tired of the restrictions, quit, and gain back twenty-five pounds. That cycle has brought me to where I am today. Two hundred sixty-four point eight pounds when I got out of bed this morning. That's a BMI of forty-five point five (based on my assumed height) for those who use that particular method of insanity. 

Why insanity? Because based on that, I should weigh between one hundred eight and one hundred forty-five pounds.  My goal is one hundred sixty-five. That's firmly in the Overweight category based on BMI, a paltry ten pounds from Obese. Hell, I'll be happy at one seventy-five - the bottom edge for obesity. 

I've done water fasts before, once for eleven days. They are a very effective way to lose weight and according to some people a great way to cleanse/renew the body. I intend to do forty days initially, and possibly extend beyond that if all goes well. I'll check in every day with a weight, and probably a brief commentary on my physical and mental state. 

No comments:

Post a Comment